Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Wanted: Hand Exercises!

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Vdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2002
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    I'll trade you:

    What are Karl Perazzo Double Strokes?

    Here's one for you. This is a Pipe band buzz rudiment sometimes called the Alec Duthart triplet, or Duthart Triplet.

    RLR R LRL L which is a cross between a triple stroke roll and a herta (in rhythm), but with the articulation:

    tap buzz tap tap - tap buzz tap tap

    Brad

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Ant Man Bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Inverted double strokes (RLLR). Make sure they sound the same as your regular doubles or singles. This will REALLY beef up your doubles (especially if you work all wrists on a pillow). I'm assuming this isn't the same thing as the KP doubles [img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img] .

    As far as inspiring quotes go, "Never stop until your good becomes better, and your better becomes the best." - FZ

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 11, 2003 04:17 AM: Message edited by: Ant Man Bee ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Dazzler's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    1,373
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Have you considered any Moeller stuff and the use of down-up-tap strokes. Letting the stick do the work and always accepting the rebound will get the sticks loose, relaxed and dancing on the snare, rather than being forced.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    French or German, Frank?

    I really like Brad's. When
    it comes to rudiments, he is
    my authority.

    [img]smile.gif[/img]

    Here's another that I use on
    and off the kit:

    Rr-L-R, Lr-R-L etc.

    Accent the press/double-
    stroke with the kick, when
    at the kit. When not, tap
    your right or kick foot.

    The double can be played
    as a 32nd or a 64th, if you
    know what I mean.

    When not accenting, with
    the kick, move the press or
    double to a different drum,
    if you're at the kick. If NOT
    at the kick, I prefer to do
    these on a bed, on a quilt;
    each of the squared-sections
    being a different drum.

    It's got to hurt just 'a-little'
    for it to really be effective
    in building your weak-hand.

    No pain, no gain.

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 11, 2003 10:36 AM: Message edited by: peter c ]</font>

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Frank Sanchez's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2003
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello All-

    I am writing out a bunch of rudiments and stickings that I am working on onto my real feel practice pad. Among the ones I already have:

    Eggbeaters, 6 stroke roll, Karl Perazzo Double Strokes, Paradiddle-diddles and Flammadiddles.

    My question is do you guys have some great hand exercises that you would not mind sharing in R L R R fashion? I am also looking for a few really, kick-my-butt-make-me practice type quotes. If you have any of those, I would appreciate it as well.

    Thanks in advance. Take care all. F.S.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member buga's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2003
    Posts
    325
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    get Gary Chaffee's book "Sticking Patterns".

    As far as I am aware, the first system to offer an alternative to the traditional rudimental approach came from Gary Chaffe in the form of his ?Stickings? book - from the ?Patterns? series. It is quite possibly, the only significant contribution to sticking technique (and its applications in rhythmic articulation) in modern times. It offers an approach that anyone serious about building a greater degree of lyrical facility on the drum set should understand, especially when considered in conjunction with the ?Rhythm and Meter? book from the same series.

    For the benefit of those unfamiliar with Chafees? concepts, some of his basic ideas are included below. Note that you will find a number of rudimental figures arising in the groups.

    A) 1.S+1.D (3note grouping)/ 1.S+2.D (5note)/ 1.S+3.D (7note)/ 1.S+4D (9note) etc.

    B) 2.S+1.D (4)/ 2.S+2.D (6)/ 2.S+3.D (8)/ 2.S+4D (10) etc.

    C) 3.S+1.D (5)/ 3.S+2.D (7)/ 3.S+3D (9)/ 3.S+4D (11) etc.

    D) 4.S+1.D (6)/ 4.S+2.D (8)/ 4.S+3D (10)/ 4.S+4D (12) etc.

    S=single D=double (#)=number of notes

    This is just the tip of the iceberg but, to begin with, try playing the above at a 16th note rate in 4/4, accenting only the first stroke of each figure. Notice how figures begin to move across time, particularly when playing odd note groupings, creating a cross rhythmic effect. Experiment with accents in different positions and vary dynamic levels. Try playing combinations of sticking figures to create longer phrases. Also, try creating other polyrhythmic variations by changing the meter of the sticking i.e. play the figures as triplets, quintuplets, septuplets etc. over the basic pulse, in this case 4/4, initially accenting only the first stroke. Think about getting the other limbs involved, maybe by playing or reading foot patterns against sticking ostinatos or by breaking up figures between different limbs.

    Like Dazzler mentioned learn the Moeller Stroke which will facilitate everything, Jim Chapin's video "Speed, Power, Control and Endurance" is great, and everything is covered on a practice pad(Real Feel)

    The Moeller method is also broken down in Famularo's "It's Your Move"

  7. #7
    Inactive Member halloween's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 11th, 2003
    Posts
    18
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Ok............

    Got this one from MD technique issue

    In 4/4 time played as eighth notes

    rlrlrlrl
    rrllrrrl
    llrrrlll

    etc....... continue till you get sixteen strokes on each hand.

    md issue May 2003 p.86

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Yuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 21st, 2002
    Posts
    49
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hand exercices ??
    Get the 154 (i'm not sure about the exact number) rudimental Wilcoxon solo's for modern drummers: that's all you need (including the mythic BlushDa if you look right!!)
    That's my main book since many years and for a long time for sure !!!

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Frank Sanchez's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2003
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks you guys- Keep those ideas coming in. They are very helpful.

    Just wanted to answer a few questions.

    Vdrummer. Karl Perazzo showed this variation of the open roll to Steve Smith and he shared it in his recent DVD's. I have been calling them by his name ever since. They are similar to inverted inverted doubles in that the emphasis is on the first stroke of the new bar, which is actually a single stroke. For example:
    >
    R L L R R L L

    For the full write out and demo, check out Steve's DVD's. I have really enjoyed that variation.

    Peter. The request is more generic. I just wondered what others would deem important/challenging enough to put down permanently. Any sticking, German, French or otherwise is appreciated. By the way, who is Brad? Is it someone with a web-site. I have been getting most of my rudiment material from the Drum Club website, but if there is someone else out there, please let me know.

    Dazzler. Yes I have checked into Moeller's technique and have applied it as well as I know how. At the same time, and this may not necessarily have been contradictory, Thomas Lang said (MD interview a few months back) that he hated uncontrolled bounces. I think the approach is somewhere in the middle. What do you think?

    Ant Man Bee. FZ? Frank Zappa right?

    Bozzio. Thank you for the suggestion about Chafee. I will look into that immediately.

    Thanks again all. If you have any more, I still have a bit of room left.

    Take Care All. F.S.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Brad is Vdrummer, Frank.

    Remember his replies to the
    Royal Scots? VERY versed in
    the rudimentary school.

    I asked because there are
    exercises that one can do
    French, which apply directly
    to their grip and not German,
    like variations of what I
    described Boomer doing at
    White Plains, NYC, in my
    story about him.

    These apply very directly to
    the fingers and let's remem-
    ber that Billy plays piano.
    There are exercises that I
    have seen keyboardists do
    that help the French drum-
    mer. I play both but mostly
    French, now, at Boomer's
    suggestion.

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •